Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pensando en ti....

I can't help it. Chile makes me think of Mexico. Casi non-stop.

Such different countries, so far apart physically... a million and six reasons why Chile is not Mexico and Mexico is not Chile.... but alas, here I am. Cuernavaca, Mexico, estoy pensando en ti!

I think being here in Chile brings me back to some of the most challenging and also most transformative aspects of my life in Mexico. As a communicator, much of this for me revolves around language. As I mentioned in my last post, the language issue is one with which I struggle so much. It makes me realize how much I consider language to be one of my favorite creative outlets! I love playing with words, creating new meanings for words (tap, anyone?), and expressing ideas with strange and elaborate flourishes. But in my second language, I am relieved and amazed when I can communicate a basic thought without eliciting a confused or amused look.

So that brings my mind constantly back to Mexico. A place where the simple became complicated, the normal became strange, and the routine became revolutionary. For all you out there who changed my life during those two years, you may be physically further than before, but estoy pensando en ustedes more than ever.

<3

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie! I hope that you are tappin' up a wonderful time there, and I'm so glad you have a blog to document your travels. I've been thinking of you and hoping that the acclimation phase is going smoothly! I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I like to celebrate people's birthdays exactly 11 days after the fact, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! The world is a better place because you're in it.
    Love Shana

    ReplyDelete