Sunday, June 27, 2010

A little evening story time

Imagine, if you will, the following scenario. Monica and Julie have stopped into a department store after a day where all plans have fallen by the wayside (we had originally set off downtown to explore a museum and try a vegetarian restaurant… only to find “CLOSED” signs on not one but BOTH places). A bit defeated, but mostly just amused, we stop into a Macys/Sears-esque department store called Hites. I need some good walking shoes and Monica is looking at clocks. A few seconds in the shoe section teaches me that here in Chile (or at least here at Hites), my feet are considered abnormally gigantic (US shoe size 8) and I am relieved to finally find a single shoe box labeled with my size (Chilean size 49). The box is sitting close to the bottom of a wall-to-wall line up of precariously stacked boxes. As I slooooooowly slide the box out from under the stack, I begin to notice the top boxes sloooooowly falling, then sliding into the rows of boxes next to them, then smashing into the rows of boxes next to them...… seconds later I am huddled in the middle of the store screaming “OH DIOS MIO!!!!!” as shoes come flying out of their boxes, crashing down over my head, bouncing off my shoulders and landing crazily all over the department store floor. I am in complete shock, crouching over, my hands over my head, screaming “OH DIOS MIO!” while the rest of the store looks on in some combination of stunned amazement, extraordinary annoyance and hysterical amusement.

You miiiiiiight know that I'm prone to exaggerate but en serio peeps, I would say no less that 80 pairs shoes came leaping out of their boxes and onto my head/on the floor this afternoon at the delightful Hites department store.


(For the recond, Monica bought a clock and I waited till the next store over to purchase my coveted pair of ENORMOUS shoes. )

4 comments:

  1. So did you clean it all up? Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this story!!!!! Here's hoping to only one mildly embarrassing story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this story!!! So something that would happen to me! (Or Monica) Clumsiness is a total virtue, don't worry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the best and most traumatic story ever. I do believe i've been a situation much like this except it involved ice cream cones at a self serve softserve ice cream machine. yeah lets just say i don't get my own ice cream anymore at least not in an cone :)

    i agree that i hope its the only mildly embarrassing story you'll have for the summer. Either way keep 'tappin' your JRo self all over Chile! :)

    ReplyDelete